If all main roads are generally good and paved / concrete, signaling is severely reduced or absent. It is never safe from an unreported pothole.
Note that it is quite possible to spend a visit to Koh Samui and Koh Samui without rent vehicle, component only with transportation and moving a little walk. Many excursions organized by local travel agencies will take care of your transfers.
If you do not know people on Koh Samui to take you three strategies for moving awaits you on arrival at Koh Samui:
If you have booked a hotel in advance, ask for a free transportation upon arrival. Many hotels are able to offer this service. Feel free to make a request when booking. While some charge a little, it's still one of the best solutions.
If you use public transport, Several scenarios depending on your place of arrival. If you do well, you should never pay more than 150THB to your hotel upon arrival at Koh Samui.
- At the airport: Taxis are waiting for you at the exit of the airport. Some offer 800THB to go from the airport to Lamai for example. You will also find minibuses around 100THB depending on destination.
- At Nathon bus station (if you chose to Bangkok - Koh Samui government bus for example) Even if you come up with the last bus, there is always some taxis waiting for your arrival. The bus station is located on the main road of Koh Samui, so you have to wear hand Songtèo that go around the island for cheap.
- At Lomprayah (Maenam) Pier: If you arrive on Koh Tao and Koh Phangan by Lomprayah, this company offers to come to the pier to Koh Samui Mae Nam, to take you directly to your hotel by minibus to 100THB ( you pay directly when purchasing your ticket to Koh Tao and Koh Phangan). Scooter also possible to port. From here, if you want to use songtèo, you will walk straight to the south a few hundred meters to the main road where songtèo pass.
- At Nathon Pier (Seatran ferry pier or Song Serm from Surat Thani) The taxi and mini bus waiting for you upon arrival. Price mini bus depending on the destination (150 THB). Possibility to rent a scooter in a store across the harbor.
- At Ban Rak Pier (Big Buddha Beach): If you get (or Koh Phangan Koh Tao for example) via the company Seatran eg mini bus waiting for you to bring groups in different sectors (100 THB). Taxis are also. Possibility to rent a scooter in a store across the harbor.
Rent a car upon arrival at Koh Samui
If you get to Koh Samui Nathon by wearing and you also plan to also leave this port, why not rent a scooter directly to your Nathon happened? Cella can make you money on arrival and departure. In short, the idea is that if you plan to rent a car, try to choose the place for your car rental depending on your place of arrival and departure to Koh Samui. Think of ports as Mae Nam Rak Ban Nathon and you will find shops rental.
Think that the Koh Samui Airport, you can rent a car.
Whether motorcycle / scooter or car, take the time necessary to state mandatory site and fill in the lease that mention what will happen in case of accident. Do not hesitate to ask the lessor for its insurance.
Take photos of the vehicle in the presence of the owner, before signing. This could help you avoid surprises. If possible, use the services of your hotel may if necessary refer you to the rental trust.
The roads and driving:
If the roads of Koh Samui are generally very good: Attention! Output of major arteries, some roads, including one that will feature in the mountains high elevations.
Also, the roads are generally good, one may be tempted to go a little faster, do not do anything: Always drive at moderate light.
Recall that Koh Samui in Thailand is also known for the many accidents see everyday on the road.
Wherever it is, always stay focused when driving. A Koh Samui, the population is international and each brings with him his driving habits, sometimes bad, he will practice on roads he finds time for a visit.
If you do not feel the road or the vehicle, do not take unnecessary risks
Drive during the rainy season:
When it rains for a few hours without stopping, some parts of the road become real pools. Sometimes the rain persists and drainage on the road can be difficult and slow. Manholes are opened and then sometimes can be hard to see when it is not used. Pay close attention to that.
Avoid therefore simply driving in such circumstances, water may also put down your vehicle.
Respect the laws:
If you see any errors in our page, do not hesitate to let us know here